Government & Economy:
- Largest sector of the economy is oil and gas.
- GDP per capita (Average income): $129,700. (#1 in the world)
- Absolute Monarchy
- Mixed system of civil and Islamic law
People & Society:
- Population (25-54 years old): 1,321,973 M & 269,072 F.
- Religion: Muslim (77.5%), Christian (8.5%), and other such as Hindu (14%).
- Urbanization: 99.2%.
- Ethnic Groups: Arab (40%), Indian (18%), Pakistani (18%), Iranian (10%), and other (14%).
Has Wealth Made Qatar Happy? (BBC News):
- “We have become urban. Our social and economic life has changed – families have become separated, consumption culture has taken over.“ – Dr Kaltham Al Ghanim, a sociology professor at Qatar University
- Qataris get free education, electricity, job guarantees, grants for housing, water, and healthcare.
- Qatari society is defined by class, which is often linked to race. It is desperately unequal.